This job is FLA Exempt.
Grameen Foundation’s Financial Services Solution Area has pioneered the use of humancentered design (HCD) in the design of new financial products. The methodology, built on current best practices in HCD in the private sector in developed economies, has been adapted by GF for use in developing markets targeting the poor. As a result of this work, GF has developed a proven methodology for designing, testing and launching successful products and services that achieve impact on the economic lives of the poor.
GF seeks to adapt this approach for use in our two other domains – agriculture and health – and to standardize our approach to HCD at a global level. To that end, we are seeking an experienced, dynamic and passionate leader in the field of HCD to work with us in Africa, Latin America and Asia for at least six months to design, document and disseminate this approach.
- Educate GF teams on current best practices in HCD
- Analyze GF’s current HCD approach used in mobile financial services
- Building on current practices globally and within GF, design an HCD approach to be used in our mHealth and mAgriculture work
- Test the approach with at least one mHealth or mAgriculture product or service
- Train selected staff in the new approach
- Support GF to brand the newly designed HCD approach
- Play a lead role in the newly formed HCD Community of Practice at GF,contributing actively to knowledge sharing at GF
- Documentation of best practices in HCD in developed markets
- Analysis of GF’s current approach, identifying strengths, gaps, etc., and identifying ways in which the approach can be applied to new domains within GF
- HCD approach for mAg and mHealth designed and documented, including but not limited to tools, manuals, training materials, etc.
- At least four trainings conducted (live and/or via webinar)
- At least one product/service in development or developed using the approach
- Branding strategy for the HCD approach
- Active engagement among members of the HCD Community of Practice
- Bachelor’s degree in design or related field; Master’s strongly preferred
- At least three years of experience at an internationally recognized design firm, with experience leading teams and with proven success in using HCD to design, test and launch products and/or services
- Experience working across the entire design process
- Inspired by and committed to Grameen Foundation’s mission and strategy
- Highly analytical with an insatiable intellectual curiosity, and a keen interest in creating innovative solutions for the poor
- Professional experience in developing economies preferred
Reports to: Vice President, Information Services
Location: Kampala, Uganda preferred, but some flexibility among GF offices
Duration: 6-12 months depending on availability of the Expert-in-Residence
Start date: approximately March 2014
Benefits: Round-trip airfare, housing, stipend
For more information, please contact Hillary Miller-Wise at hmillerwise [at] grameenfoundation [dot] org