This job is FLA Exempt.
Status: Full-Time, Project Employee (End date August 31, 2014)
Grameen Foundation USA is seeking an Accounts Assistant to support our operations in our Kampala, Uganda office. Through microfinance and technology, our mission is to enable the poor, especially the poorest, to create a world without poverty. Keys to success in this role will be the ability to manage our bookkeeping and payroll functions, comply with appropriate organizational policies, government and accounting regulations, manage multiple projects simultaneously, and operate in an entrepreneurial, start-up atmosphere.
Job Summary: The Accounts Assistant will take responsibility for many aspects of bookkeeping and payroll for the Uganda offices of Grameen Foundation USA. Key duties include assisting in the processing of payables and expense reports, and maintaining books of accounts.
Reporting and relationships: The Accounts Assistant reports to the Finance Manager in the Kampala office.
Availability: The Accounts Assistant will be expected to work a standard workweek of 40 hours plus additional hours as necessary to complete the tasks assigned.
Essential Job Functions
- Maintain and manage the petty cash fund
- Review requests for payment and enter transactions into accounting software (Microsoft Dynamics GP)
- Assist with preparation of monthly account reconciliations, including bank account and mobile money
- Ensure timesheets are submitted accurately and on time and prepare monthly salary allocation reports
- Assist with enforcement of effective accounting policies and internal controls in coordination with local and head office Finance teams
- Maintain all necessary records and documentation of transactions
- Assist in the year-end audit of the financial statements by preparing schedules or accounting reports as needed
- Maintain and manage the fixed asset register
- Perform other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Deep commitment to eradication of poverty and alignment with Grameen Foundation’s mission
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of not-for-profit accounting and Ugandan regulations
- Familiarity with Ugandan government tax, payroll, benefits, reporting and other compliance requirements
- Proficiency in MS Office products (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) and ability to work with standard accounting packages
- Outstanding communication skills (written and oral); ability to communicate in a diplomatic, friendly, yet effective manner with senior management, staff and external partners
- Ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced, energetic, highly creative and entrepreneurial environment
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Business Administration
- Minimum of 2-4 years experience in accounting and payroll, preferably in a nonprofit or international NGO setting
Physical and Environmental Conditions
This position does not require unusual demands for physical effort. This position may occasionally require physical effort to lift and transport boxes weighing no more than 50 pounds. Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of places such as offices, meeting or training rooms, residences, or commercial vehicles; e.g., use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls, and observance of fire regulations and traffic signals.
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made in appropriate circumstances to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
Interested candidates should send a resume with a brief cover letter explaining why you are interested and what you will bring to the position. Resumes will be accepted through July 2013 and should be sent via email to jobs [at] applab [dot] org Please put “Accounts Assistant – Uganda” in the subject line. Applicants must be eligible to work continuously in Uganda at the time of application. No Calls Please.