Agricultural Financial Services Manager
Status: Full-Time Employee
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Date: November 2012
Grameen Foundation USA is seeking a passionate and driven Agricultural Financial Services Manager to lead GF’s agricultural finance initiatives in Kenya. Keys to success in this role will be experience in executing agricultural finance initiatives in East Africa, deep understanding of challenges facing small farmers, strong project management skills, ability to manage multiple activities simultaneously and operate in an entrepreneurial, start-up atmosphere. The candidate will be highly organized, with excellent analytical and communication skills.
Job Summary: The Agricultural Financial Services Manager will manage Grameen Foundation’s agricultural finance initiatives in Kenya and as time allows, beyond Kenya. The Manager will have overall project management responsibilities for two agricultural finance initiatives in Kenya; will provide agricultural finance and product management/integration expertise to Grameen Foundation’s financial services efforts globally; and will contribute to Grameen Foundation’s financial services and agricultural finance strategies globally.
Reporting and relationships: The Financial Services Specialist will have dual reporting to the Kenya Country Manager of Grameen Foundation, with dotted line reporting to and technical input from GF’s Program Manager, MicroSavings Initiative.
Availability: The Financial Services Specialist will be expected to work a standard workweek of 40 hours plus additional hours as necessary to complete the tasks assigned.
Essential Job Functions
The Financial Services Specialist will be responsible for:
- Manage one-year project to support GF partner MFI Musoni in financial product design, human capital management, poverty measurement as they expand into rural areas.
- This position will also be responsible for managing a two-year USAID-funded project piloting an innovative financing scheme (“e-warehouse”) for smallholder farmers to increase accecss to appropriate financial services and markets, while leveraging mobile technology.
- Project Management roles include: oversight of project budget, overall project timeline and activities, managing relationship and coordinating activities with implementing partners and internal groups within GF, and ensuring project deliverables are being met.
Agricultural Financial Services:
- Work with Musoni Kenya to design and test an agricultural lending product and structure pilot plan and work with relevant Musoni programs (Operations, IT, HR, Marketing) to prepare for pilot
- Recruit and manage product development consultant to support Musoni project
- Document process for GF and Musoni’s purposes of replication and project documentation
- Support Musoni in product pilot, including review and analysis of progress on a consistent basis with recommendations for product modifications if needed
- Work with MFI Micro Africa to design product specifications and develop the financial product to be offered to participating smallholder farmers in USAID-funded e-warehouse pilot;
- Coordinate with GF’s Financial Services team to apply GF approach and process to product development and prototyping in all financial services initiatives
- Provide agricultural finance and product management/integration expertise to Grameen Foundation’s financial services efforts globally
- Contribute to Grameen Foundation’s global financial services and agricultural finance strategies
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Deep commitment to eradication of poverty and alignment with Grameen Foundation’s mission
- Strong hands-on experience in developing financial products with specific knowledge in agricultural finance; background in mobile financial services a plus
- Experience working in East Africa
- Excellent writing, research and communication skills; ability to gather, synthesize and present information in a professional, compelling and practical anner with senior management, staff and external partners
- Ability to work well with others and collaboratively across the organization
- Ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced, energetic, highly creative and entrepreneurial environment
- Highly motivated, self-directed and strong attention to detail;
- Excellent organizational, project management and time management skills
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, finance, business or IT; graduate degree preferred
- 6+ years financial services execution expertise around agricultural/rural finance; strong preference for candidates with formal banking experience
- Deep understanding of financial challenges facing poor, smallholder farmers and corresponding financial needs
- Financial product management and launch expertise, including experience integrating products into a financial institution’s processes and systems from a technology standpoint.
- Familiarity with mobile money /mobile financial services preferred
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
This position does not require unusual demands for physical effort. This position may occasionally require physical effort to lift and transport boxes weighing no more than 50 pounds. Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of places such as offices, meeting or training rooms, residences, or commercial vehicles; e.g., use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls, and observance of fire regulations and traffic signals.
Additional Comment: The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made in appropriate circumstances to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
Interested candidates, please click here.