Vietnam's poverty levels have declined drastically in the past 20 years as a result of the country's rapid economic growth and improved social protection programs. However, the absolute number of poor people is still large and the incidence of poverty is relatively high in rural areas and among ethnic minorities.
- The population of Vietnam is 85 million
- Sixty one percent of the country's ethnic population lives below the poverty line
- Malnutrition affects 25 percent of children under age 5
- Neonatal deaths account for nearly 75 percent of all infant deaths
- Almost 80 percent of the country's poor people depend on agriculture for their livelihood.
|Photo credit CIA Factbook|
Grameen Foundation’s Progress out of Poverty™ Index (PPI™) for Vietnam is now available and can assist the Vietnam microfinance community to better target its programs and measure the progress of their clients.