This job is FLA Exempt.
Job Summary: The CKW Field Operations Leader (CFOL) will oversee the field activities of the CKW network that comprise the heart of the CocoaLInk Plus project in Cote d’Ivoire, a project run in parallel with the related CocoaLink SMS messaging program sponsored by USAID and led by World Cocoa Foundation as prime contractor. The key responsibilities of the CFOL role include working with field officers of the project, various local district stakeholders, CKWs and trainers, as well as coordinating field visits for the project and its partners. The CFOL will also develop district profiles for the targeted areas, conduct field assessments for purposes of mapping, support baselining and other data collection and reporting, and serve on at least one client coverage team. This position presents a management opportunity for a dynamic leader to guide and manage a team that is at the core of leveraging ICT to improve the lives of the poor.
Reporting and relationships: The position will report jointly to the CocoaLink Plus Project Manager, Cote d’Ivoire and to the Grameen Foundation CKW Network and Training Manager based in Uganda. The CFOL directly supervises field-based officers and contractors in respect to their CKW-related job roles.
Availability: The CKW Field Operations Leader is expected to work a typical work week of 40 hours plus additional hours as necessary to get the job done. The position will be based in an agreed location in Cote d’Ivoire, but with plenty of field work as the position suggests. This position will require frequent travel (75%) to the rural areas or even more as may be needed, and at least one extended trip to Uganda for training.
Essential Job Functions
- Oversee and guide field officers and other field-based contractors in relation to CKW activities and objectives:
- Act as team leader and role model; show the way by strengthening the skills of ‘field officer’ colleagues in providing technical and moral support to the CKWs
- Develop work plans and support schedules for the field-based officers
- Develop success metrics for field officers to track CKW progress in terms of implementing project objectives.
- Report regularly on progress in the field in terms of CKW technical capabilities, challenges, motivation and commitment towards disseminating information as well as data collection.
- Streamline field activities to meet CocoaLink Plus’s objectives, Grameen Foundation’s best practice standards and partner expectations.
- Troubleshoot and work with the backend technical support team to track CKW performance against set targets.
- Support or coordinate and lead local stakeholder engagements:
- Make courtesy calls to relevant district officials to introduce the CKW project.
- Contribute to the drafting templates of relevant documentation for district officials
- Letters of introduction from CocoaLink Plus to district, sub-county and village officials
- Project overview documents
- Sample marketing materials for launched and developed mobile applications
- Support or coordinate and lead field visits and field assessments of partner sites:
- Develop district profiles for targeted areas.
- Develop field assessment check lists for partner sites.
- Map partner sites and CKW locations.
- Coordinate prototyping field visits for the CocoaLink Plus team.
- Test newly developed mobile applications with the technology team.
- Coordinate field visits for various stakeholders and CocoaLink PLus team to offer support and see the CKWs in action.
- Field research with CKWs/clients for needs assessments and relevant feedback, collaborating with M&E and other colleagues as needed.
- Serve on at least on one client coverage team to develop the project’s contracting capabilities:
- Attend at least one client meeting per month.
- Take notes to identify necessary field assessment needs.
- Schedule possible dates for field visits in consultation with CocoaLink Plus.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Deep commitment to eradication of poverty and alignment with Grameen Foundation’s mission and the spirit and aims of the CocoaLink Plus project, by demonstrating an understanding of and commitment to development in Africa and agriculture in general
- At least 5 years experience working with farmers in the rural areas, with a proven track record of achievement under a range of challenging situations in the rural areas
- Excellent people skills – ability to manage complex situations (operational and tactical) with proven ability to work effectively with people from different cultures and organizations
- Strong leadership, and time management skills and ability to work collaboratively across different localities in Cote d’Ivoire and with partner personnel who will perform much of the grassroots community mobilization, CKW nomination and recruitment, CKW training and equipment provisioning, under the CFOL’s guidance
- Innovative and creative enough to solve unstructured problems encountered in supervising field officers and a network that will grow from an initial 120 CKWs to potentially well over 1,000 CKWs in a short period of 2-3 years
- Ability to manage complexities under pressure
- Ability to coach and counsel field staff to enable them to improve any poor performing CKWs or replace them
- Should have excellent presentation, communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to act as a lead representative of the CocoaLink Plus project in local government forums
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office and mobile phones
- Ability to promote knowledge transfer through strong mentoring and team building skills, with a natural tendency to share learnings
- Enthusiasm and passion for development work in Cote d’Ivoire and the region
- Belief in the potential to leverage information and communication technology (ICTs) for the benefit of smallholder farmers –with practical experience.
- Commitment to building social and gender equity into program design and approach
- Ability to drive, bearing a valid driving permit will be an added advantage
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture, Social Sciences or Developmental Studies
- At least 5 years experience of working with rural development projects that are agricultural related
- Knowledge of information and communication technology (ICTs) preferred
- Fluent in oral and written French; bi-lingual with spoken and written English is a strong plus
- Proven communication and writing skills
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
This position requires the expected demands on physical efforts associated with working in rural areas. This position may occasionally require physical effort to walk to farmers homes which are inaccessible by car or motorbike, travel long distances back & forth or work beyond normal office hours to achieve a desired goal.
Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of places such as offices, meeting or training rooms, residences, or commercial vehicles; e.g., use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls, and observance of fire regulations and traffic signals.
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made in appropriate circumstances to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
Interested candidates should send their resume and brief cover letter explaining why you are interested in this position and what you will bring to the position. Resumes will be accepted through 15 August 2013 and should be sent via email to jobs [at] applab [dot] org. Please put “CFOL-Cote d’Ivoire” in the subject line. No Phone Calls, Please.