This job is FLA Exempt.
Status: Full time
Location: Washington DC (preferred)
Date: February 25, 2014
Job Summary: The Director of Institutional Relations will lead four key areas - formulating and articulating strategy, developing the Institutional Relations team, stewarding institutional partners and creating alignment.
Strategy and Thought Leadership
The person in this role will be a key contributor in creating and articulating Grameen Foundation corporate strategy. As well, s/he will be required to create and execute a strategy to maximize engagement and funding across institutional partners including corporate, foundation and government entities. In concert with the marketing organization, the Director will play an integral role in formulating a thought leadership agenda to correctly position Grameen Foundation in the industry.
The Director will lead the Institutional Relations staff, board members and volunteers in cultivating corporate, foundation and government donor relationships. The Director will work with this group to ensure they have the skills to be successful, specifically in understanding Grameen Foundation mission and strategy, communicating in-person and via email to funding partners, working with internal and external stakeholders, proposal writing and management, and partner stewardship.
Strategic Partner Development and Fundraising
S/he will identify, develop and cultivate relationships with institutional partners. The process of strategic partner development will include identifying new partners, communicating and educating partners, proposing areas of collaboration, preparing detailed business plans, negotiating terms and reporting on progress against prior commitments. While being the sole point of contact for key high-priority partners, the Director will also support the team in successfully stewarding partners in their individual portfolios. The Direct will personally manage a portfolio of high profile partners.
Key to success in this role will be the ability to effectively manage complex internal and external relationships. The Director will be an expert at generating alignment and creating enthusiasm for a plan both within the organization and across key players in the industry.
Essential Job Functions:
- Work with senior staff, key board members and other executive level volunteers to align around strategy and direction
- Develop and execute effective strategies to identify, cultivate and steward corporate, foundation and government partners
- Program planning and budgeting
- Direct and support the institutional relations team
- Proposal and report development, writing and solicitation (despite the strategic elements of the position, the Director will need to “roll up their sleeves” and write grant proposals for instance)
Supervision: The Director of Institutional Relations supervises the Institutional Relations team and reports to the Vice President of External Affairs with frequent interaction with the COO, CEO and SVP of Programs.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrated success in mobilizing resources from corporations, foundations and government sources
- Knowledge and understanding of the microcredit and or technology sectors
- Demonstrated commitment to Grameen Foundation values
- A proven team player and team leader, having effectively managed a team of high-functioning and highly motivated direct reports
- Excellent writing and in-person presentation skills
- Proven negotiation skills
- Excellent organizational and human relations skills in a cross-cultural environment and geographically dispersed organization
- History of creating alignment across internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to work in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines, and work gracefully under pressure
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Strategy consulting experience exemplifying an ability to quickly understand complex business situations and the economics or business environment driving them
- Sales experience - working to achieve financial goals
- Experience working with USAID, multilateral and government funders, a plus
- High-level corporate relationship management
- Entrepreneurial, self-starter
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree and 8 years related experience
The Director of Institutional Relations is expected to work a typical work week of 40 hours plus additional hours as necessary to get the job done. The position requires travel within the US and abroad.
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
This position does not require unusual demands for physical effort. This position may occasionally require physical effort to lift and transport boxes weighing no more than 50 pounds.
Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of places such as offices, meeting or training rooms, residences, or commercial vehicles; e.g., use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls, and observance of fire regulations and traffic signals.
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made in appropriate circumstances to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
Interested candidates, please click here.