Field Coordinator, Mobile Technology for Community Health Initiative (Gomoa West)
Status: Project Employee (End date, 01/31/2014)
Location: Gomoa West, Central Region, Ghana
Date: October 2012
Job Summary: The Field Coordinator is responsible for leading project field work and being the primary liaison between GF and partners in Gomoa West District. This includes decision-making around field work required to achieve objectives, creating research and training agendas, managing field staff, and representing MoTeCH to stakeholders in these regions. The Field Coordinator will work closely with the Senior Implementation Manager, Deputy Project Director, Technical Manager and Operations Manager to ensure user and other stakeholder feedback is gathered in an efficient, effective, and timely manner.
Reporting and relationships: The Field Coordinator reports to the Senior Implementation Manager. They will work closely with the Deputy Project Director and Technical Program Manager and lead a small team of other field staff.
Availability: The Field Coordinator will be expected to work a standard workweek of 40 hours and may be required to work in the evenings and on weekends occasionally. The role is based in the Greater Accra Region. There will be some travel within and outside Accra as required.
Essential Job Functions
- Be the primary liaison between Grameen Foundation and Ghana Health Service in these regions.
- Be the primary liaison between Grameen Foundation and Columbia University in these regions.
- Represent MoTeCH externally to all stakeholders in these regions.
- Identify organizations with similar goals operating in these regions. Identify organizations for potential partnership.
- Make decisions about what fieldwork is required to be conducted in order to gain information required for technical specifications.
- Manage field teams to ensure that all required fieldwork is conducted to a high standard.
- Provide finalized and edited documentation of all field events to Deputy Project Director.
- Assist in devising training modules for users and Ghana Health Service stakeholders, and identifying participants to involve in such training.
- Oversee Independent Contractors’ progress towards goals and deliverables.
- Communicate on a regular basis with the Senior Implementation Manager via weekly reports/emails and scheduled feedback meetings.
- Manage and report on accountabilities.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Deep commitment to eradication of poverty and alignment with Grameen Foundation’s mission
- Experience of managing a team
- Clear evidence of decision-making in past roles
- Experience leading field work
- Technology education or experience preferred
- Health education or experience preferred
- Experience writing training agendas and materials
- Experience organizing and conducting large field events such as focus groups and trainings
- Experience in a product development role in Africa preferred
- Experience in designing field tasks tailored to product development outcomes
- Ability and dedication to see a task through to completion
- Evidence of problem-solving skills and initiative
- Experience in documenting tasks concisely
- Resident or willing to be resident of Gomoa West District area, Central Region
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work on initiative and present new ideas to a team
- Ability to work identify opportunities for collaboration with external organizations
- Ability to work well with external partners
- Fluency in English
- Fluency in Fante.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Social Science preferred
- Five or more years of related experience
Physical and Environmental Conditions
This position does not require unusual demands for physical effort. This position may occasionally require physical effort to lift and transport boxes weighing no more than 50 pounds.
Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of places such as offices, meeting or training rooms, residences, or commercial vehicles; e.g., use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls, and observance of fire regulations and traffic signals.
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made in appropriate circumstances to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
Interested candidates may apply by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Field Coordinator -MoTeCH” in the subject line. No Calls Please.