Field Driver, MOTECH Project, Ghana (South Tongu)
Status: Full Time, Project Employee
Location: South Tongu Ghana with occasional travel to the MOTECH office in Accra.
Class: Non Exempt (eligible for overtime)
Start Date: December
End Date: January 31st 2014
The Mobile Technology for Community Health program (MOTECH) is a partnership between the Grameen Foundation Technology Center and Ghana Health Service (GHS). It aims to increase the quality and quantity of antenatal, neonatal and infant care through mobile phone services for community members and nurses. This program has been piloted in Kassena Nankana West District in Upper East Region, and replicated in Awutu Senya District in Central Region. With two new donor grants, MOTECH will be expanding to four new districts in the next two years.
Job Summary: The Field Driver is responsible for driving project staff in a safe and timely manner for the purpose of carrying out project work. The Driver is also responsible for ensuring the proper maintenance of project vehicles.
Reporting and relationships: The Field Driver reports to the Office Manager in Accra, Field Coordinator in South Tongu and MOTECH’s Head Driver in Accra.
Availability: The Project Driver will be expected to work a standard workweek of 40 hours and may be required to work in the evenings and on weekends. Hours may be flexed to accommodate evening or weekend work. However, time worked beyond the allowable daily or weekly maximum will be compensated at the appropriate overtime rate.
Essential Job Functions
- Safely drive staff from the office and their accommodation to required destinations.
- Run project errands as requested by project staff, including procurement of stationery, food, water and other items needed for field trips.
- Coordinate staff transportation with staff and other driver(s).
- Safely drive staff to upcountry locations for field trips, or other locations as directed.
- Ensure vehicles are properly maintained and in excellent working order
- Keep vehicles ready for use by filling gas tanks, ensuring adequate fuel funds on TomCard, servicing vehicles and washing vehicles.
- Maintain a log of trips and maintenance schedules.
- Ensure that the vehicle is kept in a secure location when parked.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Expert knowledge of roads, traffic, communities and other locations in South Tongu
- Fluency in some or all of the local languages of South Tongu
- Fluency in written and verbal English is required.
- Understanding of vehicle operations and basic maintenance
- Willing to take on additional tasks on an as-needed basis.
- Resident of, or willing to be resident of, the South Tongu area of Ghana.
Education and Experience
- Valid and current Ghanaian driver’s license.
- Clear driving record.
- Five or more years of related experience.
Physical and Environmental Conditions
This position does not require unusual demands for physical effort. This position may occasionally require physical effort to lift and transport boxes weighing no more than 50 pounds. Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of places such as offices, meeting or training rooms, residences, or commercial vehicles; e.g., use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls, and observance of fire regulations and traffic signals.
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made in appropriate circumstances to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
Interested candidates should apply by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.