Grameen Foundation India
Project Manager, Mobile Health Innovation – Bihar
Status: Regular, Project Employee (12 month minimum with possibility of extension)
Location: Gurgaon (NCR) or Patna
Date: September 2011
Job Summary: Grameen Foundation India (GFI) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Grameen Foundation USA and has been set up with the primary purpose of using microfinance and technology solutions to “enable the poor, especially the poorest, to create a world without poverty.” GFI will provide several products and services in areas of technology, human resources management, social performance management and developing sustainable business models to social enterprises in India.
The Project Manager (PM) will be responsible for facilitating the creation and deployment of a broad range of mobile health applications to be deployed by three different NGOs in Bihar, India.
The services will be used by front-line health workers and the poor individuals they serve with a goal of addressing a broad range of health issues ranging from maternal and child health to tuberculosis to pneumonia. The applications will be built on Grameen Foundation’s MOTECH platform and Dimagi’s CommCare service and deployed by BBC World Service Trust, CARE, World Health Partners, International Finance Corporation, and the Bihar State Health Society.
The PM will work closely with the NGO partners and technology providers to coordinate efforts across the programs, identify common program priorities, develop an integrated schedule, identify dependencies, and track major milestones. The PM will facilitate regular discussions with all parties to track progress, create status updates, and determine best approach for resolving conflicts and challenges. Using web-based tools, the PM will maintain a common repository for critical project files and will also maintain a detailed overall schedule using Microsoft Project. The PM may also work with third party providers such as IVR aggregators, telecommunications operators, or government agencies to incorporate their requirements into the project schedule and deliverables.
Reporting and relationships:
The position will report to the CEO of GFI.
The Project Manager is expected to work a standard work week of 40 hours plus additional hours as necessary to get the job done. The position will require some domestic travel (approximately 10% of time), primarily within Bihar.
Essential Job Functions
- Create and manage integrated project schedule for all parties involved in the MOTECH-Bihar initiative using Microsoft Project
- Identify project dependencies and areas of potential risk
- Track major milestones
- Facilitate discussions with all partners
- Provide regular status reports and updates
- Clearly define success metrics for each milestone
- Write clear and concise reports as required
- Develop strategy for resolving schedule conflicts and coordination challenges
- Demonstrated experience in managing complex projects (operational and tactical) – with proven ability to work effectively with diverse partners
- Outstanding leadership and communication skills. Must be able to facilitate complex discussions with a large number of people
- Fluency in oral and written English is required
- Deep understanding of information and communication technology – preferably with practical experience in developing countries.
- Strong, innovative and creative problem solver and strategic thinker
- Excellent analytical and interpersonal skills
- An entrepreneurial spirit -- with the ability to think strategically and act tactically
- Comfort with unstructured problems and ability to manage complexities under pressure
- Ability to promote knowledge transfer through strong mentoring and team building skills
- Deep commitment to eradication of poverty and alignment with GFI’s mission and the MOTECH Initiative
- Experience managing outsourced software development efforts considered a plus
- Knowledge of health systems in developing countries is a plus
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science or related technical field preferred;
5+ years of software design and project management experience – ideally with a top consulting firm or technology company with a proven track record of achievement under a range of challenging situations.
Experience using Microsoft Project
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
This position does not require unusual demands for physical effort. This position may occasionally require physical effort to lift and transport boxes weighing no more than 50 pounds.
Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of places such as offices, meeting or training rooms, residences, or commercial vehicles; e.g., use of safe
work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls, and observance of fire regulations and traffic signals.
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made in appropriate circumstances to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
Interested candidates can apply by email to: email@example.com. Please put “PM-Bihar” in the subject line. No Calls Please. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.