ICT Innovation Network & Training Manager
Position: ICT Innovation Network & Training Manager
Status: Full-Time Consultant (7 month term)
Location: Apartado, Antioquia
Date: January 15, 2012
Job Summary: The Information Communication Technology (ICT) Innovation Field Lead is responsible for the building, management and support of Grameen Foundation’s Mobile Agricultural project in Uraba and Santa Marta. The Field Lead will oversee the training, technical support and management of the intermediary team; report on the progress of the team, including quantity, quality, performance and morale of the intermediaries; oversee user and market demand testing. He/she will act as a field liaison to project partners and provide feedback and updates to the management team leading the overall effort.
Reporting and relationships: The position will report to the LAC ICT Innovation Program Officer
Availability: The Field Lead is expected to work a standard work week of 40 hours plus additional hours as necessary to get the job done. The position will be based in Apartado, Antioquia. This position will need to be flexible to work in local conditions, and be available to work across different time zones. This position will require regular travel (~50%) within Colombia.
- Conduct user insight, product prototyping and feedback activities
- Organize farmer groups and prepare them for field based user insight exercises to ensure maximum participation and effectiveness of the exercises
- Work directly with farmers to fine tune product offering and capture their user needs and user preferences
- Document field findings and report back observations to management team enabling them to customize product offering to field needs
- Set training and uptake strategy for mobile applications
- Define and document the appropriate strategy and approach for training and support of field intermediaries executing the mobile applications as well as training end beneficiaries (direct farmers)
- Develop and update training templates and application-specific training approaches to be utilized in maximizing intermediated and direct to farmer uptake and performance
- Implement the training and uptake strategy
- Oversee all intermediary network activities including but not limited to training, shadowing and field support
- Conduct focus group discussions (FGD) with farmers to obtain feedback on the product offering
- Shadow intermediaries and frequently carry out field visits with them to understand how they are using the mobile tools and make appropriate recommendations
- Lead multiple trainings to farmer and intermediary groups on how to use each product developed
- Develop expertise on the mobile application in order to provide technical support to intermediaries and directly to farmers and resolve technical difficulties that may arise
- Monitoring & Evaluation
- Report on quarterly and annual goals and targets and status of the mobile applications
- Monitor the usage of the mobile applications by farmers and intermediaries to evaluate what is working and what areas need improvement; based on this, make recommendations to management team
- Conduct field surveys and data collection; constantly gather and synthesize feedback on the applications from the farmers and the intermediaries as well as from partner organizations
- Provide narratives from the field to the Program Officer that will inform external reports
- Provide overall support and guidance to project management team
- Coordinate all logistics and provide advance support to management team related to trainings, field outing, user insight and prototyping exercises; includes coordination with field partners to ensure venue and logistical needs are coordinated in advance
- Contribute to regular management team meeting and activities as a completely accountable representative of the intermediary network and training area
- Provide ongoing feedback and updates on progress of partnerships in the field and be able to represent and articulate partner needs as they arise as well as potential solutions
- Support other project activities where necessary
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Deep commitment to eradication of poverty and alignment with Grameen Foundation’s mission
- Knowledge of rural Colombia and the capabilities and preferences of smallholder farmers
- Understanding of and commitment to development in Latin America and agriculture in general
- Knowledge of training and rural recruitment techniques
- Outstanding project management skills with proven track record of achievement under a range of challenging situations
- Knowledge of M&E techniques such as facilitating FGDs
- Ability to act as a representative of Grameen Foundation in public forums
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office and mobile phones
- Belief in the potential to leverage information and communication technology (ICTs) for the benefit of small holder farmers –with practical experience.
- Commitment to building social and gender equity into program design and approach
- Proficiency in oral and written English strongly preferred
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture, International Development or related field
- At least 5 years of relevant professional experience managing rural and agricultural outreach activities in Latin America
- Experience conducting surveys and implementing M&E frameworks
- Experience in information and communication technology (ICTs) preferred
- Experience offering technical support preferred
- Ability to drive a motorcycle a plus
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
This position does not require unusual demands for physical effort. This position may occasionally require physical effort to lift and transport boxes weighing no more than 50 pounds.
Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of places such as offices, meeting or training rooms, residences, or commercial vehicles; e.g., use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls, and observance of fire regulations and traffic signals.
The above consultancy description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made in appropriate circumstances to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
Interested candidates should send their resume and brief cover letter explaining why you are interested in this position and what you will bring to the position. Resumes will be accepts through January 1, 2012, and should be sent via email to lroldan@grameenfoundation. Please put “NTM-LAC” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.