This job is not FLA Exempt.
Job Summary: The Program Manager, Savings Groups will use broad and comprehensive experience, skills and knowledge to direct all activities related to managing engagements with partner banks, mobile network operators, and savings group implementing partners in Uganda to support savings groups. The role will further Grameen Foundation’s vision and strategy to leverage mobile technology and innovative financial services models to enable the poor to lead more prosperous lives. He/she will work directly with the Grameen Foundation global and country-level teams to drive product development and scaling efforts and manage the partner relationships. He/she will also be responsible for identifying and pursuing new opportunities in Uganda and other markets and will lead efforts to disseminate insights and findings from these projects.
The project: Grameen Foundation, in partnership with a major financial institution in Uganda, is launching two new mobile products to support Village Savings and Loan Associations (VSLAs). These products were designed and piloted on a small scale through an initial 18 month engagement with a financial institution in Uganda. The next phase of this work will see the Grameen Foundation team supporting the institution to operationalize and scale the two products. Grameen Foundation will also work with local and regional teams from the implementing partners to launch the products. The second stage of this project will focus on the development of additional services.
Grameen Foundation has also been engaged by a major mobile network operator in Uganda to support development and delivery of a mobile wallet solution for groups. This product will be marketed to appeal to base of the pyramid consumers, in particular VSLAs. The product will also work in conjunction with financial institutions to drive financial inclusion.
Reporting and relationships: The position will report to the Director of Mobile Financial Services. The Program Manager will directly supervise all staff and contractors related to the project.
Availability: The Program Manager will be expected to work a typical work week of 37.5 hours plus additional hours to get the job done. The position will be based in Kampala in Uganda. This position will need to be flexible to work in local conditions, and be available to work across different time zones. This position will require infrequent travel (10%-20%) within Uganda, and periodic travel to other countries as needed.
Essential Job Functions
- Project Management
- Develop detailed project plans with associated milestones and work with internal and external personnel to ensure goals are met
- Manage multiple work streams and projects, allocating resources across them in the most efficient manner to deliver to project plans
- Hire and manage any additional resources needed to support the project
- Create and manage budget and ensure all spend is within +/-10% variance per quarter
- Product Development and Scale
- Work with the research and design team to test and refine the products with end users
- Develop plans for delivery and targeted outputs for the team to support this process
- Identify high-potential products that could be tested, and monitor testing through pilot phases
- Work closely with partners to identify and implement necessary operational changes to ensure
- Work closely with partner counterparts to mitigate risks, resolve issues and keep project on target
- Coordinate launch and commercialization of products and offers with the relevant channels and ensure successful go-to-market deployments for each product
- Client Relationship Management
- Prepare reporting documentation and lead regular stakeholder discussions with client, including but not limited to Monthly Updates, Quarterly Reports, and Steering Committee meetings
- Oversee overall product timeline and activities, managing relationship and coordinating activities with implementing partners and internal groups within GF and ensuring project deliverables are being met
- Ensure client is involved throughout the process to create shared ownership of deliverables and to enable the project teams to be versed on the R&D approach
- Develop and own capacity building and training plans for all product stakeholders including internally and externally
- Identify future opportunities for the Mobile Financial Services team in Uganda, both project extensions and new leads. Work to develop and scope these opportunities to generate additional funding and build on the work and expertise that exists in the team.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Outstanding project management skills with proven track record of achievement under a range of challenging situations
- Ability to work with and manage interdisciplinary teams
- Ability to work new product innovations into existing organizational structures
- Understanding of operational processes to support launching and scaling the product
- Knowledge of the financial services for the poor space and mobile money ecosystem
- Understanding of the human centered design process a plus
- Experience in resource mobilization preferred.
- Experience in results-oriented monitoring and evaluation preferred
- Experience in adult training and/or organizational capacity building strongly preferred
- Ability to act as a representative of project and Grameen Foundation more broadly in public forums
- Deep commitment to eradication of poverty and alignment with Grameen Foundation’s mission
- Belief in the potential to leverage information and communication technology (ICTs) for the benefit of poor people – with practical experience.
Education and Experience
- At least bachelor’s degree, post-graduate preferred
- At least 8 years of relevant professional experience
- At least 5 years project management experience
- Experience working in developing countries preferred
- Experience in information and communication technology (ICTs) and/or financial services
Physical and Environmental Conditions: This position does not require unusual demands for physical effort. This position may occasionally require physical effort to lift and transport boxes weighing no more than 50 pounds. Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of places such as offices, meeting or training rooms, residences, or commercial vehicles; e.g., use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls, and observance of fire regulations and traffic signals.
Additional Comment: The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made in appropriate circumstances to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
Interested Candidates please apply HERE