This job is FLA Exempt.
Position Title: Project Lead (PL) AppLab Money-Health Kenya
Status: Full time Project Employee
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Start date: September 1, 2014
Project Background: AppLab Money Kenya (AMK) is a Grameen Foundation (GF) initiative launched in Kenya in February 2014. The key aim of the initiative is to develop and scale innovative financial products which are designed for low-income clients and have commercial returns for our strategic partners. GF has partnered with Jamii Bora Bank and is using a client centered design process to help the bank design, test and scale an agricultural financial product delivered over the mobile channel. GF is now expanding the AMK initiative through a partnership with MicroEnsure and Penda Health, employing the same user-centered design approach to develop and test a micro-health insurance product for the low-income market. This initiative represents a unique opportunity to develop ground-breaking products at the intersection of health, financial services and mobile technology in a sustainable way.
Job Summary: The Project Lead will use broad and comprehensive experience, skills and knowledge to direct all activities related to managing the Kenya AppLab Money–Health engagement. He/she will work directly with the Grameen Foundation global and country-level teams to drive product development and scaling efforts.
The project: Grameen Foundation has received funding to design and bring to market an innovative health insurance product that is meant to appeal to low income customers in Kenya. To ensure that the product developed meets the needs of poor clients and the partner organization, Grameen Foundation will use its solution innovation process to design and deliver a client-centered product that will also be commercially viable. This product will be developed over a six month time frame in Kenya, with pilot testing and implementation requiring an additional 6-12 months.
Reporting and relationships: The position will report to the Regional Chief Operations Officer, with dotted line reporting to the Director of Financial Services. The Project Lead will directly supervise staff and contractors related to the project.
Availability: The Project Lead will be expected to work a typical work week of 40 hours plus additional hours to get the job done. The position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya. This position will need to be flexible to work in local conditions, and be available to work across different time zones. This position will require infrequent travel (10%-20%) within Kenya, and periodic travel to other countries as needed.
Essential Job Functions
• Project Management
- Develop detailed project plan with associated milestones and work with internal and external personnel to ensure goals are m
- Hire and manage any additional resources needed support the project
- Create project budget in partnership with area Director/Manager. Monitor and track spend on a regular basis to ensure alignment with contract.
- Ensure all spend is within +/-10% variance per quarter, and deliverables are completed within budget
- Create and manage an M&E framework to measure outcomes from integrating health information with health insurance.
• Product Research and Development
- With the AppLab Money research team, develop a plan and targeted outputs that will lead to the microinsurance product to be developed, tested and deployed
- Manage the application of the AppLab Money innovation process to the project work streams, including identifying key research questions, deploying innovative research techniques, and leveraging resulting insights to drive new products
• Relationship Management
- Prepare reporting documentation and lead regular stakeholder discussions with client, including but not limited to monthly updates and quarterly reports, and steering committee meetings
- Work closely with partners to meet targets
- Ensure client is involved throughout the process to create shared ownership of deliverables and to enable project team to be versed on the R&D approach
- Manage donor relationship, draft and share updates via conference calls with donor as needed
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Deep understanding of health systems and financing/insurance, and ideally a combination of the two
- Ability to work new product innovations into existing organizational structures
- Some understanding of the human centered design process
- Ability to work with interdisciplinary teams
- Deep commitment to eradication of poverty and alignment with Grameen Foundation’s mission
- Experience working in developing countries, preferably in Africa, including an understanding of the specific challenges that the poor face with regard to health and/or financial services
- Outstanding project management skills with proven track record of achievement under a range of challenging situations
- Ability to act as a representative of project and Grameen Foundation more broadly in public forums
- Belief in the potential to leverage information and communication technology (ICTs) for the benefit of poor people –with practical experience
- Knowledge of the financial services space within country of project
Education and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree from a top university required. A Master’s degree in Business Administration, Economics, Finance or related field strongly preferred
- At least seven years of relevant professional experience in either health, finance, insurance or mobile technology
- At least five years project management experience
- Experience in information and communication technology (ICTs) required
Additional Comment: The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made in appropriate circumstances to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
Interested candidates please submit your cover letter and resume HERE. No calls please.