Grameen Foundation India (GFI)
Technology Project Manager, India, Microsavings Initiative
Status: Full-Time Project Employee (One-year project with possibility of extension)
Location: India (based in Varanasi)
Date: February 2011
Grameen Foundation India (GFI) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Grameen Foundation USA and has been set up with the primary purpose of using microfinance and technology solutions to “enable the poor, especially the poorest, to create a world without poverty.” GFI will provide several products and services in areas of technology, human resources management, social performance management and developing sustainable business models to social enterprises in India.
GFI will implement a project led by Grameen Foundation USA that comprises work with a leading microfinance institution (MFI) in India to dramatically expand access to savings for the poor. This program will focus on strengthening product design, marketing, operational processes, and institutional capacity at the MFI to ensure 400,000 new savers are reached at the end of the 3-year project.
Keys to success in this role will be the ability to manage multiple stakeholders with varying objectives and to establish and lead productive relationships with all project team members and stakeholders. A strong program management experience in technology implementation will also be essential.
Job Summary: The Technology Project Manager will work with CASHPOR, an MFI headquartered in Varanasi, India to define, plan and manage the technology intervention which will strengthen product design, marketing, operational processes, and institutional capacity for the microsavings initiative. The technology focus of the program will take a holistic, process-based approach, ensuring appropriate back-end and front-end technologies are in place and fully integrated into the MFI’s operations to fully enable savings deposits and withdrawals for new savers at the end of the three year project.
Reporting and relationships: This position directly reports to the CEO, GFI.
Availability: The Technical Project Manager will be expected to work a standard work week plus additional hours as necessary to get the job done. The position will work on-site in the MFI office. Travel to rural areas for requirements gathering and field testing may be required.
Essential Job Functions
• Work closely with the Microsavings Program Managers to define business and technology requirements.
• Define, plan, manage, and pilot required technology interventions to enable correspondent banking model; Technology projects may include changes to back-office MIS automation, mobile banking solutions, ATM, and POS or other hand-held technology deployments.
• Lead the effort to organize the evaluation of vendor technology partners
• Evaluate and recommend the most cost-effective and optimal technology solutions for the MFI. This includes addressing functional gaps within the current technology framework to ensure the greatest level of project success.
• Work with MFI to create required project reporting needs
• Facilitate Business Process Re-engineering to ensure that the technology implementation is supported by appropriate business processes.
• Plan and manage needed financial and human resources for the projects.
• Define success criteria for the project and design and implement metrics to measure success.
• Identify and manage stakeholder expectations and communications
• Identify project risks and create mitigation plans
• Create, update and manage a project schedule
• Work closely with the MFI at each stage of the project to ensure knowledge and skills transfer and project continuity.
• Identify and train MFI staff successors to ensure that the technology implementation continues to be successful after the engagement.
• Lead and mentor the MFI to manage technology vendors needed for the project.
• Share and document challenges, learnings, and best practices
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Deep commitment to eradication of poverty and alignment with Grameen Foundation India’s mission
• Experience planning and managing complex technology projects with full implementation lifecycle (from program definition to measuring results); including successfully working with technology providers and Indian banks.
• Ability to design and execute technology projects with limited supervision
• Business process reengineering experience including analysis, mapping and process measurement and redesign
• Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills; experience mentoring team members and influencing executive management.
• Ability to effectively communicate priorities, delivery expectations, risks and concerns to multiple stakeholders
• Experience living and traveling internationally, preferably in developing countries
• Fluency in English with superb written and verbal communication skills and fluency in Hindi
• Experience in implementing technology for banking correspondence model preferred; Knowledge of relevant MIS industry development in region a plus
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree
• Minimum of five years progressive and relevant experience.
• Experience working in or with an Indian public sector bank preferred.
Physical and Environmental Conditions
This position does not require unusual demands for physical effort. This position may occasionally require physical effort to lift and transport boxes weighing no more than 50 pounds. Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of places such as offices, meeting or training rooms, residences, or commercial vehicles; e.g., use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls, and observance of fire regulations and traffic signals.
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made in appropriate circumstances to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job. Interested candidates may apply by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 29, 2011. Please put “Tech PM-India” in the subject line. No Calls Please.