OPERATIONS MANAGER - UGANDA
Status: Full-Time Project Employee (24 month term)
Location: Uganda, Kampala
Job Summary: The Operations Manager will plan, direct and coordinate the operations of the organization. The Operations Manager is responsible for ensuring and improving the performance, productivity, efficiency and profitability of departmental and organizational operations through the provision of effective methods and strategies.
Reporting and Relationships: The position will report to the Country Director, AppLab Uganda and will supervise several Uganda staff.
Availability: It is expected that the Operations Manager is expected to work a standard work week of 40 hours plus additional hours as necessary to get the job done. The position will be based in Kampala, Uganda. This position will need to be flexible to work in local conditions, and be available to work across different time zones. This position will require infrequent travel (10%-15%) within Uganda and travel to the US and other countries as needed.
Essential Job Functions
Coordination and Supervision
• Coordinate, manage, improve the efficiency of and monitor the workings of the support services such as Accounts, Human Resources and Administration departments in the organization.
• Budget responsibilities include: plan effective strategies for the financial well-being of the company; review financial statements and data prepare and control operational budgets, review performance against budget to improve profitability;
• Direct and coordinate organization's financial and budget activities to fund operations, maximize investments, and increase efficiency.
• Monitor businesses and agencies to ensure that they efficiently and effectively provide needed services while staying within budgetary limits.
• Donor reporting and inventory control;
Administration and Best Practices
• Improve processes and policies in support of organizational goals;
• Formulate and implement departmental and organizational policies and procedures to maximize output;
• Monitor adherence to rules, regulations and procedures;
• Manage official internal and external organizational communications;
• Manage maintenance of equipment and machinery;
• Implements and ensures safety is abided at the work place;
• Recommend locations for new facilities or oversee the remodeling of current facilities as needed including plan office layouts;
• Establish and implement departmental policies, goals, objectives, and procedures, conferring with board members, organization officials, and staff members as necessary
• Liaison with top management.
• Assist in the development of strategic plans for operational activity.
• Implement and manage operational plans.
• Coordinate with HQ to plan the use of human resources;
• Organize recruitment and placement of required staff;
• Establish organizational structures;
• Delegate tasks and accountabilities;
• Establish work schedules;
• Manage quality and quantity of employee productivity by monitoring and evaluating performance;
• Implement new concepts and management tools from time to time to build a common company culture in line with the organization vision;
• Determine staffing requirements, and interview, hire and train new employees, or oversee those personnel processes;
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Proven ability to do critical thinking and problem solving skills; planning and organizing; decision-making
• Proficient writing and communication skills
• Must be able to influence, delegate and lead others, such as teams;
• Ability to bring teams to work effectively together;
• Must be able to mediate when necessary; conflict management
• Ability to adapt to a fast pace organization and under some stressful situations;
Education and Experience
• Requires a Bachelor’s Degree/University Degree in business administration, commerce, management with five or more years’ of proven experience in operations management, financial and accounting management, human resource management and project management. Some Information technology skills preferred.
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
This position does not require unusual demands for physical effort. This position may occasionally require physical effort to lift and transport boxes weighing no more than 50 pounds. Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of places such as offices, meeting or training rooms, residences, or commercial vehicles; e.g., use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls, and observance of fire regulations and traffic signals.
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job. Position Description Operations Manager. Please send applications titled “OM” in the subject line to email@example.com.
No phone calls Please.