Title: Africa Regional Human Resources Manager
FLSA: Eligible for Overtime
Date: November 6 2012
This new position is being created to deliver top-notch HR consulting, practices and processes while researching and building Africa-wide solutions to fill
in the existing gaps in our HR service offerings across the region. The position will be required to build upon our foundational HR processes and content
that already exists while influencing necessary revisions to ensure GF conforms with local law and practice in the countries we operate in across Africa.
This position will be part of the global Human Resources team headquartered in the US with dual reporting locally and to the Chief Human Resources Officer
(CHRO). This position will require a person to be hands-on, administering HR policies, programs and practices while at the same time building critical HR
content and coaching and influencing leaders and teams to improve their effectiveness.
Reporting and Relationships:
This position reports jointly to the Regional CEO, Africa, and to the Chief Human Resources Officer in the US.
The Manager position is a full time position, plus additional hours as necessary to get the job done. This position is based in our Kampala, Uganda and may
require travel to Kenya and Ghana up to 10% of the time after the first year of getting established within the Uganda office.
Essential Job Functions:
In conjunction with GF's HQs the Africa HR Manager will be responsible for the following job functions:
- Build a strategic resource plan for the region that reflects intermediate-term talent needs and an approach to level full-time employees,
project-based employees, and volunteer in one coordinated approach
- Consult with managers to ensure a job description is produced that accurately reflects the role and candidate qualifications, determines whether a full-time hire or volunteer effort is warranted, and, if a full-time hire is required, level the position in accordance with GF's compensation structure.
- Assist hiring managers, as needed with recruitment effort, including placing job advertisements.
Finalize the offer of employment to selected candidates with the hiring manager and within the guidelines of GF's compensation policy.
- Onboard new hires effectively by conducting new employee orientation, ensuring employees can be productive day one, and working with managers to ensure employees have commitments set within their first month on the job.
- Develop and maintain a network of contacts that facilitate identifying and sourcing qualified candidates.
- Collaborate with HR Corporate office to maintain the accuracy of department organization charts, ensure all necessary paperwork is on file, and
maintain compliance with local laws concerning employment.
Compensation and Benefits
Performs benefits administration to include claims resolution, change reporting, approving invoices for payment, and communicating benefit information to employees
- Assist with the overall administration of the compensation program including salary surveys and COLA administration; researches and understands salary and benefit trends within the local market(s)
Recommends updates to GF's benefit offerings that ensure our competitiveness in local talent markets, deliver flexibility and creativity to our employees, and are cost-effective for GF.
Implements compensation policies and benefit programs for Africa offices, including annual benefit enrollment.
Partners with in-country leaders to develop an understanding of their strategies, Commitments and challenges, and works with leaders and managers to drive organization effectiveness and employee commitment
Executes Talent System processes in the Region, including Commitment Setting, Performance Review, Talent Review, and Career Planning, driving client teams to successful completion and document submittal. Provides feedback on local adjustments required to implement GF's Talent System in country (see Appendix 1).
Communicates and advocates for GF Talent System processes and partners with leaders, managers, and employees to ensure they both understand the processes and extract maximum value
Serves as in-Region expert on GF Performance, GF Learning, and headcount tracking systems
Advocates for Region employees' needs to ensure employee development solutions GF HR delivers deliver maximum in-Region impact
- Assist Corporate Office with administering and monitoring performance evaluation program
Executes all other HR processes from employee onboarding and orientation to exit interviews. Analyzes processes and trends and makes recommendations for corrective action and continuous improvement.
- Maintain accurate and current online Human Resources Information Systems records and complies reports from database, on both myGrameen, smartsheet and HR's box.net site.
Work with GF HR to ensure Employee Handbook is localized and valid in country and interprets and applies all GF HR policies
Partners with employees and management to communicate various Human Resources policies, procedures, laws, standards and government regulations
Counsels employees and leaders through conflict, reporting issues to Corporate HR.
Responds to employee relation issues such as employee complaints, harassment allegations, and civil rights complaints
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
To perform the job successfully, the successful candidate should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this
Human Resources leadership
- Strategic Human Resources knowledge demonstrated by working knowledge of theories, principles and practices
- Knowledge of international employment and compensation systems and issues;
- Ability to apply and adapt practices and techniques to the unique needs of local office, maintaining what is required to be core and common and modifying the rest, as needed;
- Ability to establish appropriate and effective relationships with leaders, managers, and employees across the organization;
Demonstrate the capability to be analytical and deliver synthesized insights into complex or diverse information and situations.
Tailor approach to problem solving to the situation and drive resolution in a timely manner
Re-engineer processes, as needed, and automate manual tasks for greater efficiency and fewer errors
Deliver a finished work product that exudes quality and demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
Inspires, motivate and model effective leadership behaviors
Demonstrate sound judgment though listening, exploring and acting / deciding
Prioritizes highest impact work, plans projects accordingly, and develops realistic action plans.
Present facts and recommendations clearly and persuasively in all situations, both orally and in written form.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor's Degree in HR management required; a Master's degree is highly desired in Human Resource or Organization Psychology.
At least eight (8) years' managerial and HR generalist experience in public or private Human Resources management; public administration, psychology, or
education; three (3) years' experience in an HR organization for a multinational organization is preferred.
Any experience that is equivalent to a combination of several HR specialty areas or a generalist experience and training that provides the required
knowledge, skills, and abilities is required.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
Professional HR certifications are highly desired.
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
This position does not require unusual demands for physical effort. This position may occasionally require physical effort to lift and transport boxes
weighing no more than 50 pounds.
Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of places such as offices, meeting or training
rooms, residences, or commercial vehicles; e.g., use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls, and
observance of fire regulations and traffic signals.
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions
associated with this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made in appropriate circumstances to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform
the essential functions of this job.
Interested candidates, please click here .