Status: Full time Project Base (18 months)
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Job Summary: The Extension Specialist will be responsible for creating ICT based extension models leading to high quality extension services to GF’s end users and other parts of agricultural value chains, enabling improvements in the efficiency, effectiveness, profitability, and sustainability of agriculture (Increasing adoption and impact), with a strong linkage to research.
The Project: The CKW project has steadily grown with over 1200 community knowledge workers based in 20 districts across Uganda. Under its initial strategy, the programme focused on developing actionable content that was disseminated to the farmers through the community knowledge workers and a farmer helpline. As the project matures GF realizes the need to create impact by restructuring its agriculture knowledge base making it more actionable, adding decision making tools and above all getting closer to the farmer to ensure that the knowledge created is also adopted through unique extension methods and support. This phase will focus on practical extension and hence the role.
Reporting and Relationships: The position will report directly to the Manager, Content and Services.
Availability: The Extension Specialist will be expected to work a typical work week of 40 hours plus additional hours to get the job done. The position will be based in Kampala, Uganda. This position will need to be flexible to work in local conditions, and be available to work across different time zones. This position will require travel (20%-40%) within Uganda, and periodic travel to other countries as needed.
Essential Job Functions
• Develop innovative and practical Agricultural extension models;
• Train teams (Super CKWs, Filed officers and Data Validators) on essential extension methodologies;
• Lead the content packaging and development of agriculture first aid kits;
• Support the dissemination of key adoption;
• Support the quality assurance process on the different agricultural products;
• Support research and product development/Assist in developing prototypes and field testing them with farmers;
• Create and develop research partnerships to strengthen Ag knowledge feedback loop;
Key Tasks and Technical Performance Areas
• To encourage farmers/CKWs to adopt better practice through exposure to new knowledge, information, skills, inputs and processes (especially technical, management, market) to improve the long term performance of their farms /businesses;
• To develop the capacity of farmers/CKWs/ Field officers to adopt and implement better practice through exposure to new knowledge, information, skills, inputs and processes to improve the long term performance and adoption in the farming business;
• To provide technical services for farmers in key parts of value chains where it is more effective and efficient for this capacity to remain with Farmers or associated agencies (e.g. for integrated pest and disease management, post-harvest handling, marketing etc.);
• To develop closer relationships and improved engagement with other parts of the value chain, especially input suppliers and customers to ensure quality inputs, including new products; as well as to track market needs and quality requirements;-
• To establish strong research linkages and improved access to better practice to ensure a continued flow of new knowledge and innovation, across a range of technical, management and market disciplines, through formal and informal relationships;
• Has a deep commitment to eradication of poverty and alignment with Grameen Foundation’s mission
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Ability and belief in the potential to leverage information and communication technology (ICTs) to promote agriculture;
• Ability to think creatively about the commercial side of extension product development;
• Proven proficiency in written and oral communication skills/ ability to speak several local languages is a big plus; Knowledge of, and experience in, the application of Good Agricultural Practices;
• Knowledge and practical work experience in the field of agricultural extension, farm advisory work and/or small farmer training and development;
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s/University degree in Agricultural culture and a post graduate in extension services/ agribusiness or related field is preferred, with 3 or more years’ experience of professional practical agriculture extension;
• Ability to take initiative and work without constant supervision, and has worked in enhancement of rural livelihoods and sustainable development of rurally based business.
Physical and Environmental Conditions: This position does not require unusual demands for physical effort. This position may occasionally require physical effort to lift and transport boxes weighing no more than 50 pounds. Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of places such as offices, meeting or training rooms, residences, or commercial vehicles; e.g., use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls, and observance of fire regulations and traffic signals.
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made in appropriate circumstances to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
Interested candidates should send a resume with a brief cover letter explaining why you are interested and what you will bring to the position. Resumes will be accepted through January 31, 2013 and should be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org . Please put “EXT-CKW” in the subject line. No Calls Please.