Status: Full time
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Job Summary: Grameen Foundation’s (GF) Capital Management & Advisory Center (CMAC) seeks to harness the resources of the financial markets to support rapid expansion in outreach to poor families through leading, poverty-focused microfinance institutions (MFIs) and other social enterprises. CMAC supports access to growth financing through a range of financial products and services currently offered through two distinct investment vehicles: the Growth Guarantee Program which provides loan guarantees to MFIs, and the Pioneer Fund which offers loans, quasi-equity and equity investments to MFIs and other social enterprises.
The Investment Associate will be responsible for leading transactions primarily in Sub-Saharan Africa through the investment cycle (origination, structuring, execution, and monitoring), while creating and managing external relationships with regulators, capital markets actors, co-investors, rating agencies and other relevant institutions in select regions/countries. The ideal candidate will bring relevant work experience and relationships in Sub-Saharan Africa and be capable/willing to transact in Asia as needed.
Reporting and relationships: The Investment Associate will report to the Manager of Investments while working directly with other members of CMAC, the Regional Teams, and other departments within Grameen Foundation.
Availability: Investment Associate will be expected to work a typical work week of 40 hours plus additional hours as necessary to get the job done. The position will require extensive local and international travel of up to 50% time.
Essential Job Functions
- Lead marketing efforts within Africa and build investment pipeline, screening to ensure that prospects meet GF’s social mission, and conducting initial financial analysis and desk review to ensure satisfactory financial credentials and Asia.
- Establish relationships with and actively educate local financial institutions about guarantees and the GG product to open up new financing relationships for MFIs.
- Negotiate prudent investment terms and conditions with clients under supervision from the Manager of Investments, and support MFIs in their negotiation and documentation of guarantees with banks and local financial institutions.
- Organize and conduct in-country due diligence assessments of prospects to include interviews with senior management, field visits, review of operations and social mission, and drafting a summary of due diligence findings.
- Prepare and defend investment proposals for Credit & Investment Committees, to include financial projection model & risk rating score.
- Upon securing Committee approval, take lead role in documenting and executing the investment transaction.
- Responsible for achieving deployment and revenue targets as agreed with Manager of Investments.
- Monitor the on-going operational performance and risk profile of portfolio companies, and prepare quarterly portfolio reviews in conjunction with GF’s Regional Team.
- Identify need for amendments, waivers, restructurings, etc. and support efforts to negotiate and execute satisfactory resolutions.
- Support collection efforts (following up on late or potential default payments to minimize arrears and avoid guarantee calls).
- Potentially represent CMAC at relevant regional and international conferences;
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of latest industry and regulatory developments related to microfinance and capital markets in all countries of responsibility, and prepare country analysis for new targeted markets.
- Initiate and develop relationships with key government and regulatory bodies, rating agencies, and other funders/investors in close coordination with GF Africa Regional Team.
- As needed, assist in fund raising activities and other CMAC tasks as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Commitment to Grameen Foundation’s mission
- Superior quantitative skills and written analysis skills
- Strong financial analysis skills.
- Demonstrated negotiation skills
- Knowledge of microfinance and/or social entrepreneurship sector within Africa.
- Excellent communication skills: ability to effectively communicate, through speaking and writing, to internal and external audiences
- Ability to act as a representative of GF to the public
- Fluency in English required, French also desired
Education and Experience
- Bachelor degree required; MBA or Master’s degree in economics/finance preferred.
- Five or more years work experience in related fields with at least three years in financial sector, with an emphasis on debt and/or equity financing
- Experience in financial analysis and modeling
- Microfinance sector; banking or finance experience in Africa is a plus
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made in appropriate circumstances to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
Interested applicants please forward cover letter with resume to: APPLY HERE