Consultant Position: Technology Manager, LAC
Status: Full-Time Consultant
Date: January 3, 2011
Job Summary: The Technology Manager (TM) will direct all technology activities related to the LAC Applab project in Colombia. The TM will lead the development and maintenance of the LAC technology platform in-conjunction with the technology leads from the other Applabs around the world; document the proper configuration of LAC handsets, other equipment and associated applications; address all technology requirements arising from partnerships and application development; test application functionality; work closely with a range of partners and team members to ensure the proper performance of applications; and represent GF in the global socially-oriented technology community. This is a leadership role for a savvy technology professional keen to contribute to building a social enterprise leveraging ICT to improve the lives of the poor.
Reporting and relationships: The consultant position will report to the ICTI Regional Program Manager, LAC. The TM will directly supervise staff and contractors.
Availability: The TM is expected to work a standard work week of 40 hours plus additional hours as necessary to get the job done. The consultant position will be based in Colombia. This consultant position will need to be flexible to work in local conditions, and be available to work across different time zones. This consultant position will require infrequent travel (5-10%) within Colombia, and periodic travel to other countries as needed.
Essential Job Functions
* Guide development and maintenance of the LAC technology platform
* Design and implement the best platform choices to deliver required LAC Applab functionality including user-facing applications, monitoring and reporting, fleet management, customer relationship management and other functions
* Work within, advise on and contribute to the global, shared GF technology platform
* Guide handset selection and approval based on LAC requirements and in line with budget realities
* Manage staff and contractors involved in the delivery and maintenance of technology functionality
* Liaise with mobile operators, content providers, technology vendors, financial institutions, government and others to ensure proper configuration and management of the platform, as well as highest standards of availability and uptime
* Develop software and programs for the LAC project
* Adopt Grameen Foundation development processes, best practice methods, tools and coding guidelines
* Create specifications and design documents for LAC applications
* Participate in software design, prototyping, development, testing and deployment of applications that will be added to the GF technology platform
* Attend trainings and participate in knowledge transfer exercises
* Participate in planning, brainstorming, specification and resource estimation processes prior to development
* Be aware of current trends and techniques in the chosen tools, platforms and technologies
* Address technology requirements arising from partnerships and new projects
* Approve and commit resources to all technology requirements necessitated by LAC management team
* Guide delivery of required functionality for each partnership entered into by LAC management to improve the lives of the poor utilizing the LAC platform
* Thoroughly test application functionality before signing off for user testing
* Monitor and ensure adequate performance of applications and services
* Support the overall LAC AppLab project
* Report on technology issues to LAC management using a monthly scorecard indicating platform progress and performance
* Support team and organizational goals where necessary
* Support and evangelize socially-relevant mobile technology
* Participate in global community of socially-relevant technology practitioners (ICT4D)
* Issue at least two blog posts per quarter concerning LAC technology and related efforts
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
* Deep commitment to eradication of poverty and alignment with Grameen Foundation’s mission
* Understanding of and commitment to development in Latin America and agriculture in general
* Strong programming skills
* Strong IT background with application development and platform management knowledge
* High knowledge of open-source software and systems integration best practices
* Ability to manage multiple projects and initiatives simultaneously
* Extreme attention to detail and knowledge of content and data management techniques
* Outstanding project management skills with proven track record of achievement under a range of challenging situations (ideally in multiple countries)
* Ability to act as a representative of GF, LAC in public forums
* Strong working knowledge of mobile phones
* Belief in the potential to leverage information and communication technology (ICTs) for the benefit of small holder farmers –with practical experience.
* Functional in oral and written English
Education and Technical Experience
* Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, IT, or related field. Master’s Degree preferred
* At least 5 years of relevant professional experience including technology responsibilities
* Experience in developing applications for mobile phones. J2ME and Android experience are a plus
* Knowledge of Java (required)
* Familiarity with system specification and design as well as various development processes and paradigms (required)
* Familiarity with Test Driven Development (+)
* Familiarity with Junit (+)
* Knowledge of Salesforce Apex Programming (+)
* Mobile application development (+)
* Programming in a team environment
* Source/code control (+)
* SQL Knowledge (Required)
* Familiarity with Mysql and MSSQL (+)
* Tortoise SVN (+)
* Familiarity with project management tools
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
This consultant consultant position does not require unusual demands for physical effort. This consultant consultant position may occasionally require physical effort to lift and transport boxes weighing no more than 50 pounds.
Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of places such as offices, meeting or training rooms, residences, or commercial vehicles; e.g., use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls, and observance of fire regulations and traffic signals.
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made in appropriate circumstances to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
Interested candidates should send their resume and brief cover letter explaining why you are interested in this consultant position and what you will bring to the consultant position.
Please send cover letters and resumes via email to firstname.lastname@example.org  Please put “TM-LAC” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.