Product Development Consultant
Status: Consultant (six month assignment)
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Date: October 2012
Grameen Foundation USA is seeking a passionate and driven financial services specialist to lead GF’s work in developing and piloting an agricultural lending product for Musoni Kenya, a 100% mobile-enabled microfinance institution based in Nairobi, Kenya. Keys to success in this role will be experience in the Microfinance sector in Kenya and East Africa, strong project management skills, ability to manage multiple activities simultaneously and operate in an entrepreneurial, start-up atmosphere. The candidate will be highly organized, with excellent analytical and communication skills.
Job Summary: With funding from MasterCard Worldwide, GF will be supporting Musoni Kenya in implementing its rural expansion strategy and in developing, testing and piloting an appropriate agricultural financial product to offer in its new rural branches. The Product Development Consultant will be responsible for engaging closely with Musoni Kenya to determine key aspects of their rural expansion, including target client demographics, key financial services market gaps they want to fill, potential product attributes, delivery channels, and the business case. In addition, the Product Development Consultantwill work with Musoni Kenya to prepare its first agricultural loan product for piloting, structure and manage the piloting process, and work with staff to integrate the product development and piloting process into Musoni Kenya’s overall product development operating procedures. The assignment will be full time for six months (with possibility of extension), starting in mid-October 2012.
Reporting and relationships: The Product Development Consultant will have dual reporting to the CEO of Musoni Kenya and the Kenya Country Director of Grameen Foundation, with dotted line reporting to and technical input from GF’s Program Manager, MicroSavings Initiative.
Availability: The Product Development Consultant will be expected to work a standard workweek of 40 hours plus additional hours as necessary to complete the tasks assigned.
Essential Job Functions
The Product Development Consultant will be responsible for:
- Prepare and maintain detailed project document with deliverables and timelines as guided by Musoni Kenya, Musoni BV and Grameen Foundation
- Leading market research to identify potential financial products to be offered in the areas identified for expansion
- Working closely with GF’s Mobile Financial Services team to apply GF approach and process to product development and prototyping, and with Musoni BV to document these processes for future replication
- Designing product specifications and working with Musoni’s Finance department to build the business case for the product
- Designing questionnaires, conduct focus groups, and continually engage end clients and Musoni field staff in design, vetting and prototyping
- Structuring pilot plan and work with relevant Musoni programs (Operations, IT, HR, Marketing) to prepare for pilot
- Coordinating with Musoni Kenya’s HR team to develop curriculum and conduct trainings for Musoni staff
- Supporting Musoni Kenya’s staff in preparing appropriate marketing material
- Managing and oversee pilot; review and analyze progress on a consistent basis and modify product as needed
- Managing pilot review process and help Musoni finalize product design to roll out to in all branches
- Documenting process for GF and Musoni’s purposes of replication and project documentation
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Deep commitment to eradication of poverty and alignment with Grameen Foundation’s mission
- Vast experience in developing financial products with specific knowledge in agricultural finance; background in mobile financial services a plus
- Experience working in East Africa
- Excellent writing, research and communication skills; ability to gather, synthesize and present information in a professional, compelling and practical manner with senior management, staff and external partners
- Ability to work well with others and collaboratively across the organization
- Ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced, energetic, highly creative and entrepreneurial environment
- Highly motivated, self-directed and strong attention to detail;
- Excellent organizational, project management and time management skills
Education and Experience
- At least 7 years experience in financial services, project management, agricultural finance or mobile financial services
- Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, finance, business or IT; graduate degree preferred
Interested candidates should send their resume and brief cover letter explaining why you are interested in this position via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “ Product Development Consultant" in the subject line.