This job is FLA Exempt.
Grameen Foundation USA is seeking a passionate and driven Product Manager to lead Grameen Foundation Uganda’s product development for mobile financial services designed to increase poor households’ access to appropriate, affordable financial services. Keys to success in this role will be experience in Product Management in Bank and/or Telco’s in East Africa or beyond, excellent project management skills, ability to manage multiple activities simultaneously and operate in an entrepreneurial, start-up atmosphere.
The Product Manager will manage Grameen Foundation’s product development for Uganda and as time allows, beyond Uganda. The Manager will have overall project management responsibilities for one project which has several financial products for the poor to be launched and scaled in Uganda.
REPORTING AND RELATIONSHIPS:
The Product Manager will be reporting to the Project Director, MFS Accelerator in Uganda.
The Product Manager will be expected to work a standard work week of 40 hours plus additional hours as necessary to complete the tasks assigned. The position will be based in Kampala, Uganda. This position will need to be flexible to work in local conditions, and be available to work across different time zones. This position will require infrequent travel (10%-20%) within Uganda.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
The Product Manager will be responsible for:
- Lead planning and execution of scheduled project activities to ensure targets are met
- Troubleshoot implementation activities and design effective solutions
- Ensure timely performance and accountability to achieve project success
Project Development & Launch
- Coordinate launch and commercialization of new products and offers with the relevant channels and ensure successful go-to-market deployments for each product
- Formulate, direct and coordinate product related activities and policies to promote products and services
- Own product requirements and work with cross-functional product development teams to refine product requirement specifications for poor clients and the Bottom of the pyramid (BoP)
- Participate in the drafting of Business Processes for New Products in coordination with all actors (MFS team, Telco, Banks)
- Develop new procedures as required for the roll-out of new functionality and continual enhancement of procedures for efficiency
- Provide product support to internal customers on functionality issues and ensure new functionalities, processes and procedures are fully understood
- Track customer and market needs as articulated by GF, MNOS and Banks
- Manage a Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation funded project to support GF bank and Telco partner(s) product development as they expand into serving the rural poor
- Overall product timeline and activities, managing relationship and coordinating activities with implementing partners and internal groups within GF and ensuring project deliverables are being met
- Understand and influence development of business processes and IT system interaction to support the intended customer journey for each product
- Develop and own capacity building and training plans for all product stakeholders including internally and externally
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Deep commitment to eradication of poverty and alignment with Grameen Foundation’s mission
- Vast experience in developing financial products with specific knowledge in banking and/or Telco products; background in mobile financial services a plus
- Experience working in East Africa
- Good knowledge of various MFS products, current trends, market dynamics and customer needs.
- Knowledge of regulatory, KYC and other product and user experience related issues are key this role
- Knowledge of telecom, payment and banking systems (related to mobile money) will be an added advantage
- Excellent writing, research and communication skills; ability to gather, synthesize and present information in a professional, compelling and practical manner with senior management, staff and external partners
- Ability to work well with others and collaboratively across the organization
- Ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced, energetic, highly creative and entrepreneurial environment
- Highly motivated, self-directed and strong attention to detail
- Excellent organizational, project management and time management skills
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, finance, business or IT; graduate degree preferred
- 5+ years financial services execution expertise around financial services; strong preference for candidates with formal banking experience
- At least 3+ years direct product or project management experience
- Deep knowledge of Microsoft office products (MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, MS Word, etc.)
- Deep understanding of financial challenges facing poor, smallholder farmers and corresponding financial needs
- Financial product management and launch expertise, including experience integrating products into a financial institution’s processes and systems from a technology standpoint
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Abide by and perform to the best of his abilities all functions, duties and responsibilities to be assigned by the ORGANISATION in due course;
- Comply with the orders and instructions given from time to time by the ORGANISATION through its authorized representatives;
- Shall not disclose any confidential information in respect of the affairs of the ORGANISATION to any unauthorized person;
- Perform any other administrative or non-administrative duties as assigned by any representative of the ORGANISATION from time to time either through direct written order or by oral assignment.
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
This position does not require unusual demands for physical effort. This position may occasionally require physical effort to lift and transport boxes weighing no more than 50 pounds.
Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of places such as offices, meeting or training rooms, residences, or commercial vehicles; e.g., use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls, and observance of fire regulations and traffic signals.
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made in appropriate circumstances to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
Interested candidates should send their resume and brief cover letter explaining why you are interested in this position and what you will bring to the position. Resumes will be accepted through June 15, 2013 and should be sent via email to jobs [at] applab [dot] org. Please put “Product Manager” in the subject line. No calls please.