This job is FLA Exempt.
Status: Full time Project contractor
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Date: October 1, 2013
Job Summary: The Project Manager will use broad and comprehensive experience, skills and knowledge to
direct all activities related to managing the Kenya AppLab Money engagement. He/she will work directly with
the Grameen Foundation global and country‐level teams to drive product development and scaling efforts.
The project: Grameen Foundation has received funding to design and bring to market an innovative financial
product that is meant to appeal to down‐market customers. To ensure that the product developed meets the
needs of poor clients and the partner organization, Grameen Foundation will use its solution innovation process
to design and deliver a client‐centered product that will also be commercially viable. This product will be
developed over a one year time frame in Kenya.
Reporting and relationships: The position will report to the Kenya Country Manager with dotted line to the
AppLab Money Incubator Global Director. The Project Manager will directly supervise staff and contractors
related to the project.
Availability: The Project Manager will be expected to work a typical work week of 40 hours plus additional
hours to get the job done. The position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya. This position will need to be flexible to
work in local conditions, and be available to work across different time zones. This position will require
infrequent travel (10%‐20%) within Kenya, and periodic travel to other countries as needed.
Essential Job Functions
- Develop detailed project plan with associated milestones and work with internal and external personnel to ensure goals are met
- Hire and manage any additional resources needed support the project
- Create and manage budget and ensure all spend is within +/‐10% variance per quarter
Product Research and Development
- With the AppLab Money research team, develop a plan and targeted outputs that will lead to the two products to be developed
- Manage the application of the AppLab Money innovation process to the project workstreams, including identifying key research questions, deploying innovative research techniques, and leveraging resulting insights to drive new products
- Identify high‐potential products that could be tested, and monitor testing through pilot phases
Client Relationship Management
- Prepare reporting documentation and lead regular stakeholder discussions with client, including but not limited to Monthly Updates and Quarterly Reports, and Steering Committee meetings
- Work closely with partners globally to meet targets
- Ensure client is involved throughout the process to create shared ownership of deliverables and to enable project team to be versed on the R&D approach
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to work new product innovations into existing organizational structures
- Some understanding of the human centered design process
- Ability to work with interdisciplinary teams
- Deep commitment to eradication of poverty and alignment with Grameen Foundation’s mission
- Experience working in developing countries
- Outstanding project management skills with proven track record of achievement under a range of challenging situations
- Ability to act as a representative of project and Grameen Foundation more broadly in public forums
- Belief in the potential to leverage information and communication technology (ICTs) for the benefit of poor people –with practical experience.
- Knowledge of the financial services space within country of project
Education and Experience
- At least bachelor’s degree, post‐graduate preferred
- At least 7 years of relevant professional experience
- At least 5 years project management experience
- Experience working in a product development role within a financial institution
- Experience in information and communication technology (ICTs)
Physical and Environmental Conditions: This position does not require unusual demands for physical effort.
This position may occasionally require physical effort to lift and transport boxes weighing no more than 50
pounds. Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical
of places such as offices, meeting or training rooms, residences, or commercial vehicles; e.g., use of safe work
place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls, and observance of fire regulations and
Additional Comment: The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of
all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job. Reasonable accommodations
may be made in appropriate circumstances to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the
essential functions of this job.
Interested candidates may apply by email to Erin Connor at econnor [at] grameenfoundation [dot] org. Please put
“AppLab Money Project Manager” in the subject line. No calls please.