Researcher, Mobile Financial Services
Position Title: Researcher, Mobile Financial Services
Status: Temporary Employee
Location: San Pablo City, Laguna
Duration: Six (6) months
Date: January 3, 2013 – July 3, 2013
Job Summary: The Mobile Financial Services (MFS) Researcher shall work closely with project staff from Grameen Foundation and the partner Microfinance Institution (MFI) in conducting the research component of the MFS project. The pilot aims to identify an MFS business case and operational model within the context of improving customer convenience and access to services.
The Researcher shall be based in San Pablo, Laguna for the duration of the project.
Reporting and relationships: The Researcher will report directly to the MFS Project Manager.
Availability: The Researcher will be expected to work a standard work week plus additional hours as necessary to get the job done. The position will work on-site in the MFI office and will require travel to rural areas.
Essential Job Functions
Planning and Preparation
- Prepare a project work plan;
- Formulate survey sampling and research design under the guidance of a research consultant;
- Design survey questionnaires and interview guides;
- Acquire human resources for data collection as needed; and
- Refine study design and survey instruments.
- Assist in survey team selection;
- Manage the conduct of a survey, focus group discussions and interviews involving micro-entrepreneurs and MFI staff;
- Manage and monitor survey team’s progress to ensure delivery of timely and quality research outputs;
- Oversee data entry and data coding; and
- Assist in data analysis.
- Prepare interim project reports;
- Ensure the timely preparation and submission of research records and reports;
- Develop final research report;
- Finalize, compile research reports for publication; and
- Organize dissemination of research information.
Education and Experience
- Has Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in social sciences or relevant field;
- Has experience and/or familiarity with social science research;
- Has good analytical and technical writing skills;
- Has excellent organizational/administrative skills;
- Has the ability to efficiently multi-task and work as a team player;
- Has prior experience in working with enumerators;
- Has knowledge of business and/or finance sectors;
- Has proficiency in Microsoft Excel; knowledge of SPSS is a plus;
- Has excellent command of English and Filipino.
Physical and Environmental Conditions
This position does not require unusual demands for physical effort. This position may occasionally require physical effort to lift and transport boxes weighing no more than 50 pounds. Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of places such as offices, meeting or training rooms, residences, or commercial vehicles; e.g., use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls, and observance of fire regulations and traffic signals.
Work Environment and Working Conditions for Travelers to Developing Countries
While performing the duties of this job, the consultant may be exposed to working conditions and hazards which are prevalent for the location and/or country of assignment. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Work is primarily performed indoors with some potential for exposure to safety and health hazards related to electronics work. The consultant may be required to travel overseas and domestically. When traveling overseas in a developing country, the consultant may be exposed to: Physical Hazards (illnesses, noise, extreme temperatures, wet or humid climates, etc.) Road Hazards (unfinished/dirt roads, potholes, traffic-related accidents), and Atmospheric Conditions (odors, dust, fumes, smog, etc.).
Interested candidates may apply by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Researcher – Philippines” in the subject line.