This job is FLA Exempt.
Location: Kenya (based in Nairobi)
Date: September 2013
The software developer should be a self-motivated individual who exhibits proven skills working with software development teams, and an ability and willingness to learn/adapt to new technologies, methods and tools.
Essential Job Functions
The software developer will be required to:
- Interpret specifications and designs as provided
- Translate such specifications into appropriate, high quality and documented programs/applications, on time, for Grameen Foundation
- Adopt Grameen Foundation development processes, best practice methods, tools and coding guidelines
- Successfully communicate with the rest of the development team throughout the development process, participate in brain storming sessions on design and implementation specifications, aid in code reviews, and incorporate feedback from code reviews into their own code
- Attend trainings and participate in knowledge transfer exercises. Where the candidate has superior knowledge, they will be expected to guide and train fellow team members
- Offer input in planning, brainstorming, specification and resource estimation processes prior to development
- Aid in deployment and technical support of developed systems and applications
- Be aware of current trends and techniques in the chosen tools, platforms and technologies
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field
- 2-5 years’ experience as part of a software development team
- Experience in developing applications for mobile phones. J2ME and Android experience are a plus.
- Experience working with remote development teams a plus
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Deep commitment to eradication of poverty and alignment with Grameen Foundation’s mission
- Knowledge of Java and multi-tier design
- Familiarity with system specification and design as well as various development processes and paradigms (required)
- Familiarity with Test Driven Development (+)
- Familiarity with Junit (+)
- Knowledge of Apex Programming (+)
- Mobile application development (+)
- Programming in a team environment
- Source/code control (+)
- SQL Knowledge (Required)
- Familiarity with Mysql and MSSQL (+)
- Git (+)
- Familiarity with project management tools
Physical and Environmental Conditions
- This position does not require unusual demands for physical effort. This position may occasionally require physical effort to lift and transport boxes weighing no more than 50 pounds. It will require spending many hours talking on a telephone.
- Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of places such as offices, meeting or training rooms, residences, or commercial vehicles; e.g., use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls, and observance of fire regulations and traffic signals.
- The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made in appropriate circumstances to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
Interested candidates, please click here.