This job is FLA Exempt.
Location: Seattle, WA
Starting Date: Immediate
About the Grameen Foundation Mobile Health Innovations Program
The Grameen Foundation envisions a world where poor individuals in developing countries and the healthcare professionals who serve them can use a mobile phone to access health information that is discoverable, relevant, actionable, and affordable. We are looking for a technology leader who can help us shape this world.
The Mobile Health Innovation program develops and deploys services that provide relevant and actionable health information over mobile phones. The target users of these systems are poor individuals and the healthcare professionals who serve them. The open-source systems we build are designed to be scaled across multiple countries and multiple health domains working with multiple organizations. We have developed a software system called “MOTECH Suite” which is currently in use to provide women in Ghana with information about pregnancy, to help HIV/AIDS patients in India manage their disease, and to enable three different organizations (BBC, CARE, and World Health Partners) in India establish an integrated health service for patients and healthcare providers in Bihar, India. Many additional organizations are interested in building health solutions on top of the suite. More information about MOTECH Suite can be found at http://motechsuite.org. We are seeking to grow our team of software engineers in Seattle.
Job Summary: We are seeking a full-time Software Engineer to join our core team in Seattle and lead or support development on the MOTECH platform. The ideal candidate has a passion for rapid prototyping, new technologies, making things work in challenging environments, and seeing the impact of their work first-hand (international travel opportunities may be available). He/she should be a good communicator and problem solver who adapts easily to new environments, likes to tinker with things, and prefers autonomy and improvisation to a more specified & managed role. At Grameen, you will have tremendous freedom to pursue your own interests and grow your skill set as well as make a real impact across the world.
Reporting and relationships: The Software Development Engineer reports to the Mobile Health Innovations Development Manager.
Availability: The Software Development Engineer will be expected to work a standard workweek of 40 hours. Occasional international and domestic travel will be encouraged.
Essential Job Functions
- Design, develop, test, and document the MOTECH platform and it's APIs
- Develop in Java/Scala using object-oriented (OO) design patterns, message queues, distributed databases (Postgres, NoSQL)
- Maintain knowledge of latest industry trends
- Maintain a familiarity with the needs of endusers (and the unique challenges around mHealth and the ICT4D space)
- Serve as a technical resource in the full development cycle.
- Recommend changes in features, design, development process and system standards.
- Brainstorm and investigate innovative features
- Contribute to the overall MOTECH vision and roadmap
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Computer Science fundamentals in data structures
- Computer Science fundamentals in algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
- Proficiency in, at least, one modern programming language such as C, C++, Java, Scala, Python, Ruby etc.
- Web services and web application/services development preferred.
- Experience in one or more J2EE containers (Tomcat, JBoss, etc)
- Familiarity with Java IDEs like Netbeans or Eclipse a plus.
- Strong communication skills
- Exposure to low bandwidth environments and developing countries helpful.
- Passion for the mission of Grameen Foundation and the MOTECH Initiative
- Interest in occasional international and domestic travel
- Fluency in English required.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science or related field
- 2+ years professional experience writing high-quality software
Physical and Environmental Conditions
This position does not require unusual demands for physical effort. This position may occasionally require physical effort to lift and transport boxes weighing no more than 50 pounds.
Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of places such as offices, meeting or training rooms, residences, or commercial vehicles; e.g., use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls, and observance of fire regulations and traffic signals.
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made in appropriate circumstances to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
Interested candidates, please click here.