Software Development Manager, Mobile Health Innovations
Position Title: Software Development Manager, Mobile Health Innovations
Location: Seattle, WA
Starting Date: Immediate
The Mobile Health Innovation program develops and deploys services that provide relevant and actionable health information over mobile phones. The target users of these systems are poor individuals and the healthcare professionals who serve them. The open-source systems we build are designed to be scaled across multiple countries and multiple health domains working with multiple organizations. We have developed a system called MOTECH (Mobile Technology for Community Health) which is currently in use to provide women in Ghana with information about pregnancy, to help HIV/AIDS patients in India manage their disease, and to enable three different organizations in India establish an integrated service for patients in Bihar, India. Multiple additional organizations are planning to deploy services based on MOTECH in 2012. We use external software developers in India and Eastern Europe to build the system.
Job Summary: The Software Development Manager will drive and coordinate the design, development, and deployment of software services that deliver and process health information via mobile phones. The ideal candidate will have extremely strong technical skills, significant experience managing engineers on remote distributed teams (both developers and QA), a strong track record of shipping software products, a solid focus on customer-facing requirements, experience with open source software development environments and agile methodologies, and excellent communication and collaboration skills. The Software Development Manager will orchestrate efforts across multiple MOTECH implementations, including development of the core platform code and integration with third party technology services. The Software Development Manager will work with the Seattle-based Senior Software Architect to develop and design the software architecture.
Reporting and relationships: The Software Development Manager reports to the Director of Mobile Health Innovations.
Availability: The Software Development Manager will be expected to work a standard workweek of 40 hours and may be required to work in the evenings and on weekends occasionally. Occasional international and domestic travel will be required.
Essential Job Functions
• Collaborate with external partners to determine architecture and technologies to incorporate into the MOTECH platform
• Identify and manage third party software engineers and testers to build new functionality for MoTeCH
• Manage software development and testing schedules
• Conduct platform architecture reviews
• Actively engage with the MOTECH code base; write code, tests, and review code from other internal and external contributors
• Cultivate the MOTECH open source community to better enable contributions from members around the world
• Act as primary contact between software development team and other teams on the MOTECH Initiative; work with program management team to drive technical solutions to functionality and other technical requirements in the software
• Set technical priorities for MOTECH in cooperation with other developers, testers, and Mobile Health Innovation management team
• Work across Grameen Foundation to identify projects where MOTECH software can be applied beyond the health domain
• Understand user requirements and translate to technical requirements
• Drive architectural discussions and decisions for key strategies and functionality
• Define requirements and build out software development infrastructure
• Key contributor to overall MOTECH vision and roadmap
• Drive overall software development strategy and key tactics to achieve the vision
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Superb technical design and implementation skills; 3 years of experience with Java/J2EE (preferably) or C++ enterprise applications. Experience with Tomcat, Spring Framework, Hibernate, MySQL strongly preferred.
• Experience working on open source projects strongly preferred
• Experience working on mobile phone software a plus
• Strong drive for results and focus on customers
• Ability and interest in engaging in functional and strategy discussions as well as deep technical conversations; strong capacity to take on a wide variety of technical and non-technical challenges
• Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
• Exposure to low bandwidth environments and developing countries helpful
• Passion for the mission of Grameen Foundation and the MOTECH Initiative
• Willingness to travel internationally and domestically.
• Fluency in English required.
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science.
• 5+ years experience as a software developer; demonstrated ability to ship
• 3+ years experience managing engineers
Physical and Environmental Conditions
This position does not require unusual demands for physical effort. This position may occasionally require physical effort to lift and transport boxes weighing no more than 50 pounds.
Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of places such as offices, meeting or training rooms, residences, or commercial vehicles; e.g., use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls, and observance of fire regulations and traffic signals.
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made in appropriate circumstances to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
Interested candidates please click here.