Technical Product Specialist, LAC
Status: Full-Time Project Employee
Location: Medellin, Colombia
Date: August 29, 2012
Job Summary: The Technical Product Specialist will act as a liaison between the different software development teams, external technology providers, the internal and external product customers. This role will be responsible for developing Grameen Foundation’s LAC product roadmap and managing product development timelines. The Specialist will lead product planning, design and specifications processes, as well as conduct product acceptance testing and quality assurance prior to release. This is a dynamic client-facing role on a highly driven and fast-paced team for a technology professional who understands the potential to use Information and Communication Technology to improve the lives of the poor.
Project Description: Grameen Foundation (GF) has been using mobile phones to reduce poverty for over 10 years and has a proven track record of reaching the poor and poorest with the information they need to improve their lives and livelihoods. We have mobile programs across the globe and design initiatives that allow poor communities to connect and transact with expanded networks of service providers and market players. Grameen Foundation offers organizations serving the bottom of the pyramid (BoP) powerful new tools: mobile technology and a methodology for leveraging existing networks of intermediaries to deliver mobile services. In Colombia, we are collaborating with a wide range of partners to provide mobile agricultural information and financial services to rural communities to reduce poverty. We have ambitious goals for poverty alleviation in Colombia and across Latin America and are building a team to execute on this exciting vision.
Reporting and relationships: The position will report to the ICTI Regional Program Manager, LAC and will supervise the Technical Account Officer.
Availability: The Technical Product Specialist is expected to work a standard workweek of 40 hours plus additional hours as necessary to get the job done. The position will be based in Colombia. This position will need to be flexible to work in local conditions and across different time zones. This position will require infrequent travel (10-15%) within Colombia, and may require occasional travel to other countries as needed.
Essential Job Functions
- Drive technology product vision and roadmap
- Do costing for feature development and provide estimates to business team
- Prioritize customer requirements and features into product roadmaps
Product Design and Testing
- Meets regularly with customers and partners to develop a deep understanding of their needs and how technology can be leveraged to better run their businesses
- Organize solution workshops to gather requirements from partners
- Builds demos and prototypes to solicit customer feedback, test out new ideas, and conduct user insight activities in field with end-users to inform product design
- Using agile development methodologies, translate findings into user stories, scenarios, personas, and other design tools for software development team
- Drive bug triage and all other product management related processes as part of the overall product development cycle
Technical Project Management
- Serve as primary liaison with software development teams and apply Agile methodologies to development
- Coordinate development between GF’s Inclusive Business Tools and Community Knowledge Worker teams
- Oversee planning and development of user stories and specifications for development teams
- Manage product releases and communication around product releases and updates
- Manage and/or oversee relationships with in-country technology providers
- Develop and manage budget for in-country technology activities (phone purchase, SMS, data plans, etc.)
- Conducts competitive analysis around business intelligence functionality; monitors trends and advancements in the field of business intelligence
Testing and Support
- Write test plans, test new features and applications and share test reports
- Develop system for capturing on-going feedback from users and incorporating in product development and improvement
- Incorporate feedback from users into product
- Serve as the primary product team liaison for technical support and ensure high priority issues are fixed in the product
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Deep commitment to eradication of poverty and belief in the potential to leverage information and communication technology (ICTs) for the benefit of poor people
- Exceptional relationship management skills with proven track record satisfying customer demand
- Ability to listen to client needs and translate needs into product design
- Strong technical skills and solid understanding of agile product development methodology, tools and processes
- Outstanding project management skills with proven track record managing software development projects
- Ability to read and understand data models and relational databases
- Familiarity with mobile and web technologies, mobile applications development and cloud based systems
- Strong technical design skills
- Passion for trouble shooting technical issues
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Typical of most start-up environments, both high-level strategic and in-the-trenches execution work will be required
- Fluency in Spanish and English required
Education and Technical Experience
- Degree in engineering, computer science, systems administration, or related field
- Advanced degree in computer science or related field, a plus
- At least 5 years of previous experience working as a product manager for software development firm
- Experience with SalesForce.com a plus
- Experience working with remote software development teams a plus
- Experience with supporting and deploying mobile applications a plus
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
This position does not require unusual demands for physical effort. This position may occasionally require physical effort to lift and transport boxes weighing no more than 50 pounds.
Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of places such as offices, meeting or training rooms, residences, or commercial vehicles; e.g., use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls, and observance of fire regulations and traffic signals.
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made in appropriate circumstances to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
Interested candidates should send their resume and brief cover letter explaining why you are interested in this position and what you will bring to the position. Resumes will be accepted through Sept 28th, 2012 and should be sent via email to email@example.com Please put “Technical Product Specialist” in the subject line. MATERIALS MUST BE SUBMITTED IN ENGLISH TO BE CONSIDERED.